Everything for the DIY router table
Router table components
To realise the plan of your own custom-made router table, you need many components. The basic equipment includes a specially manufactured plate for mounting the router and routing stops, aluminium profile rails, pressure comb, insert plates, circuit breaker and other accessories.
But the result is a router table with a very personal touch in your workshop.
Router with router lift or router with insert plate
You have the option of equipping your self-built router table with either a router lift or an insert plate. We explain here when you use which and what the differences are:
Router motor in combination with router lift:
Router motors are used in stationary applications on router tables, in CNC routers or in drill/router stands.
- A router motor is limited to the essential functions and is therefore the optimal routing unit for work at the router table. A full-fledged router cannot use its many functions in stationary use and is therefore not necessary.
- The weight of the router motor is normally considerably less than that of a router. In addition to the housing, the router has other attachments, such as a plunge basket with columns, stops and fine height adjustment, which have no function on the router table.
- With the router motor, the cutter can be changed easily and conveniently from above. The spindle of the motor protrudes far enough above the table surface and is thus free for unrestricted access for the operating tool.
- Although a router motor has nominally less wattage, router motors with 1,000 to 1,800 watts are sufficient for common routing work.
- Router motors only work with router lifts when used in the router table (e.g. router lift OFL2.0-AD43 for router motors or the swivelling router lift OFL3.0).
Router in combination with insert plate:
A router can be used together with an insert plate for stationary use on the router table.
A router offers many functions that a router motor does not. Examples are a fine height adjustment (if necessary from through the router table), a plunge basket with base plate for working with copying sleeves, a fence (hand-guided) or the integrated chip extraction.
For stationary use, we recommend a router with height adjustment fpossible through the router table (e.g. Trend T11 router or Triton routers).